Friday, January 22, 2016

Welcome

Welcome to the Blog "The Superman & Captain Marvel Power Hour," which serves as the headquarters and homepage for the Podcast of the same name. I'm your host Kyle Benning, and this is going to be a page and podcast devoted to exploring the history of my 2 favorite DC Comic Characters, Superman and Captain Marvel, while comparing and contrasting them along the way. Each episode will give you content to scratch your itch for both characters, whether that's one adventure that features both characters together, or coverage of two different stories, one featuring the Last Son of Krypton, and the other starring the World's Mightiest Mortal.

You may know me from my other podcasts that all fall on the same feed under the King-Size Comics Giant-Size Fun Podcast banner. Unlike those shows, this one will remain its own unique identity on its own separate Podcast Feed. After much internal debating, I decided I want this project to be its own standalone entity, which also allows me the freedom to talk about either solely Captain Marvel or solely Superman in some other format on one of my other shows over on the King-Size Comics Giant-Size Fun feed.


The first episode of the Podcast will launch on Sunday January 31st, and cover the "Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam" animated short from 2010. After that initial episode I'll dive into my comprehensive coverage of the collected editions Superman: From the 30's to 70's and Shazam!: From the 40's to the 70's. For the time being, episodes will drop every 2 weeks, typically the first & third Sunday of each month, with the occasional bonus episode thrown in from time to time. Most episodes will focus on comic coverage, but I will occasionally look at the two characters in other mediums, especially animation.

The goal of this podcast and blog really boils down to giving me a regular reason to go back and revisit the many classic stories starring my 2 favorite DC Characters and give me a forum to talk about them. Along the way, I hope I can take you listeners and readers along and help you either revisit an old favorite or introduce you to a new gateway to explore. Superman & Captain Marvel have both been around for over 75 years now, they both have rich histories, and unfortunately, at least in this guy's opinion, both found themselves mistreated and marginalized by DC in recent years. So this podcast and blog will serve as an outlet to celebrate and examine their heyday and happier times. I have a lot to say, and a lot of passion to share on these two characters, and I hope you'll join me for the ride.

If you can't wait for January 31st, and would like to hear some of my thoughts on Captain Marvel and/or Superman, you're in luck; I've already talked about both characters numerous times on various shows on my King-Size Comics Giant-Size Fun Podcast feed. Below are links to recent episodes I've done on the "Strange Visitor from Another World" and the "Big Red Cheese."

Captain Marvel & the Plot Against Christmas

Billy Batson's X-MAS

Superman in Christmastown, USA

Superman's Christmas Adventure

The Power of Shazam Graphic Novel

The Current State of Superman Rant

Thanks for reading; hopefully you'll join me next Sunday for the inaugural episode of “The Superman & Captain Marvel Power Hour!”

1 comment:

  1. Holy Moley this is fantastic! I am so looking forward to your podcast and blog posts.

    ReplyDelete